Chief Operations Officer
Jobs at:STEMpower INC
Deadline of this Job:
14 May 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Category: Accounting and Finance, Economics, Engineering
Location: Addis Ababa
Career Level: Senior Executive(CEO, Country Manager, General Manager)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Contract type: Contract (subject to renewal)
Internal: CEO, Senior Management Team (SMT), Program Managers, other unit Managers and Officers and any other staff and consultants that may be hired in for work related to this role.
External: STEMpower Partners, Africa Regional team, US office, Government Officials – Local and National, Line Ministries, Civil Society Organizations, and other I/NNGO’s
STEMpower Inc. is an international, not for profit, non-governmental organization registered in the USA and Ethiopia operating in African countries, with a vision to reach the African continent. STEMpower Inc was registered in Ethiopia September, 2019 with the objective of engaging in solving societal problems: by providing hands-on lab-based Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education, strengthening nations: by using engineering and ensure empowerment: by implementing pre-university STEM enrichment programs It is founded on the conviction that STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education, innovation, acceleration, tech SMEs are crucial to Africa’s long-term development. STEMpower Inc. provides access to hands-on STEM education encouraging students and innovators to engineer their way out of poverty by strengthening their country’s technical workforce .
• The Chief Operating Officer will take on the day-to-day management of the administrative and operational functions of the organization, freeing up the CEO to focus on new initiatives and bigger-picture, longer-term strategies.
• He/She will help structure the organization based on the vision and mission of the organization and ensure that the strategic objectives are delivered. The position provides leadership on governance, finance, HR and risk issues, and oversee the 15-person operational support team across our offices in Africa.
• It is also expected to set a sustainable pace for an ambitious organization; nurture an organizational culture that is bold and daring, yet serene and fulfilling; and streamline our day-to-day decision-making, workflow and project management processes for more agile and optimized ways of working.
Operational execution and implementation of strategy:
• Translate the Board’s vision into implementation by building the capability of the organization to deliver on its promise under the CEO: create an enabling environment, identify operational gaps, obstacles and bottlenecks to execution, and support other members of the Management Team to optimize and streamline operations across the organization
• Identify and launch organizational methods that connect the vision with the needs of the people executing it
• Coordinate activities across teams and ensure they are aligned to the strategic direction
• Work with the CEO and Management Team to develop the annual workplan for the organization
• Run weekly management meetings and quarterly management reviews; capture decisions taken, document them in policies and ensure follow-up
Monitoring of performance:
• Track organizational performance against long-term strategy, against key indicators in the metrics dashboard, and against annual objectives by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
• Identify ways to improve measurement, monitoring, and analysis of performance\
• Take measures as necessary to improve performance and hold the team collectively accountable for deliverables
• Together with the Board and the Management Team, produce reports to the Board of Director on performance.
• Build and maintain a reporting and knowledge management system that centralises and feeds information to relevant parties
Organizational culture, structure and development:
• Build organizational agility to respond to needs and opportunities in an entrepreneurial manner
• Assess the organizational capacity to implement new initiatives; measure ambitions against the risk of burnout and overload, striking a balance that allows staff to find pleasure and sustainability in their work; make recommendations to the CEO accordingly
• Set principles and define strategies to ensure coherent internal management of the organization, including clear and devolved decision-making, efficient workflow and clarity of goals
• Communicate policies to staff, together with Head of People and Culture
• Work closely with Head of Finance, Admin and Compliance to manage and adapt organizational spending; monitor cash flow and budget compliance; anticipate and mitigate financial risk; and ensure sound financial management
• In consultation with the CEO and Management Team, determine spending priorities and allocations
Governance & Risk:
• Lead the quarterly review of the organizational risk matrix, identifying risks that threaten the organization and ways to mitigate them
• Enforce organizational policies, working with the Head of Admin, Finance and Compliance to ensure the organization abides by rules and regulations, as set by its legal jurisdiction, donors, its own standard operating procedures and general ethics; and with the Head of People and Culture to establish policies that promote company culture and vision
• Review contracts signed in the organization’s name
• Oversee decisions on staff salaries and non-budgeted expenditure
• Formal Education
• At least MSc Degree in business, economics, finance, engineering or related field
• 7 - 10 years of relevant professional experience, including at least 5 years of experience in a senior management role, running a non-profit organisation, company, or large department/team
• Experience taking an organisation or initiative to scale and successfully managing change within teams
• Strong understanding of business functions such as budgeting, financial management, HR, and compliance
• Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
• Experience working internationally
• Commitment, Humility, Candor & Transparency, Constructiveness and Diversity.
• Building open relationships of trust: A shared vision and trusted relationship with the CEO and the Board will be key to success in this role.
• Enlightened and inspirational management: Your management style allows team members ownership over their work while remaining present and supportive.
• You thrive on bringing out the best in colleagues; building support for a vision; and inspiring and motivating others.
• Building capacity for change: You are able to move an organization towards new ways of working; maintain stability during times of rapid growth; re-assure and bring teams along amid change. You can build consensus around tough issues.
• Designing processes: You give structure to ideas and can design processes that lead to tangible ways forward.
• Judgment: You make smart decisions in ambiguous and unclear situations. You are a strategic thinker.
• Agility: You don’t need a high degree of certainty to feel comfortable. You are flexible enough to adapt to evolving demands of the job and try different approaches before deciding what works best. You are proactive in seeking solutions to challenges.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through Ethiojobs.net
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.